Neiva is a city in the midst of important growth and development phase and has several diverse tourist attractions. It is located in the valley of the Magdalena River and is one of the most important cities in south Colombia due to its strategic location that once communicated the Viceroyalty of Peru with Bogotá. Neiva was founded in 1539, although the city was raided by natives and had to be relocated. It was founded for the third and final time by Diego de Ospina y Medinilla in 1612. The city is widely known for the Feasts of Saints Peter and Paul, festivities during which the city also organizes a Folkloric Festival and the Reinado Nacional del Bambuco beauty pageant, as well as its beautiful natural vistas.
The city has a warm climate with an average temperature of 21ºC to 35ºC. In August and September the maximum temperature is reached, which can exceed 37 ° C. On the other hand, the coolest months are the rainiest, like April, November and December, where the maximum temperature oscillates between 28º C and 30º C.
Hotels in Neiva
Hotels in Colombia vary widely in size and quality; they range from pocket-sized (guesthouses) in humble homes to huge 5-star establishments. There is a star grading system similar to that operating in Europe.
● GHL Hotel Neiva
- Carrera 16 No 42-195, 410002 Neiva, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 185.000
- Services: It has individual, and double rooms. Restaurant. Bar. Wifi. Room service. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel Neiva Plaza
- Calle 7 No 4-62, 410002 Neiva, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 157.500
- Services: It has individual, double, and triple rooms. Wifi. Bar. Restaurant. Pool. Fitness center. Laundry service. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
● Onix Hotel
- Carrera 4 #1G 53, 410001 Neiva, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 55.000
- Services: It has individual, double, triple, quadruple, and family rooms. Wifi. Pet-friendly. Bar. Includes breakfast.
Restaurantes & Bars in Neiva
Due to its variety of vegetables in the region and the culture, gastronomy in Neiva is a very attractive destination for those who enjoy new flavors and scents. People in Neiva cook their dishes with ancient culinary techniques, which brings to life and amazing cuisine.
● El Cuervo Restaurante
- Calle 8 # 100-75 Vía Ipanema, Neiva Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 20.000
● Restaurante Granvino
- Carrera 1 # 2a-09, Neiva 410010 Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 15.000
● El Tinajón
- Carrera 9 13-59, Neiva Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 18.000
The most tourist places in Neiva
● Tatacoa Desert: This is the perfect place to hang out that is far from the city’s hustle and bustle. Located in Hula, which is two hours from Neiva, this place is also known as the tropical dry forest. You can spend your night counting the beautiful stars in the sky. You can also visit the Red Zone or Zone Cuzco, and take a tour through the valley of ghosts and visit the gray desert. Other activities include horse riding, riding ATVs, bike riding, and walking.
● Termales de Rivera in Neiva: It features water parks with amazingly designed warm and pools. The natural hot springs also have a spa. Other activities include horseback riding and hiking. You can also visit the on-site restaurant that serves amazing food along, and there are plenty of hotels to stay at with exceptionally reasonable prices!
● Santander Park: This place is ideal for those who want to enjoy the beautiful sunset while sitting on the benches beneath the trees that cover you from the heat! Here you can also witness the stunning screeching of parrots that come here for their nightly rest.
● Museo Arqueológico Regional Del Huila: This is a beautiful museum to visit as this place offers some of the best collections of statuary that consists of 300 pieces, ceramics, orfebrera, petroglyphs, and artifacts the Baltics found in Neiva. This museum is known as the Space Renaissance as the archaeologists discovered this with their investigations.
● Rio Magdalena: This place is ideal for a day trip as this place offers you some of the best moments of sailing a boat with boatmen stationed at the bank, and you can see the Great Magdalena River that crosses Colombia near the city of Neiva. It gives you a spectacular view of some tranquil bird-watching.
Important dates in Neiva
● Semana Santa: The Craft Fairs are intended to provide a space for artisans to display and market their works.
● June 24th - Fiesta de San Juan: In the community, it is celebrated with peasant dances, horseback riding, brandy, and folklore.
● June 29th - Fiesta de San Pedro: It is celebrated with music, dance, comparsas, the typical barbecue, the mistela, and the brandy.
● August 16th - Fiesta de San Roque: Tradition says that the image of the saint appeared on a rock near the La Arenosa stream, with multiple sores caused by smallpox, which later cured a group of indigenous people.
How to move around Neiva?
To move around the city you can take these two options:
● Public transport: whose minimum rate is COP $ 1,800, according to the sections, the rate increases.
● Taxi: You can take this option for a minimum rate of COP $ 4 800. Taximeters are used.
How to reach Neiva?
Neiva by bus: The average travel time between Medellin and Neiva is around 12 hours.
Gastronomy in Neiva
Some of these typical dishes are:
● Asado huilense
● Juan Valerio
● Tamal huilense
● Bizcocho de cuajada
● Arepas orejeperro
● Bizcocho de achiras
Things to buy in Neiva
The most representative souvenirs that you can buy in Cali are
- Chivas de Pitalito
- Pinturas realizadas al óleo
- Camisas guayaberas
Neiva is located between the Central and Eastern mountain ranges, in the valley of the same name, and crossed by the Las Ceibas River and the Río del Oro. Was founded on July 25, 1536 by Sebastián from Belalcázar, which makes it one of the oldest cities in America. At 442 meters above sea level and with an average temperature of 27 degrees Celsius, Neiva is a tourist and business center in the south of the country, close to cities such as Florencia, Mocoa, Popayán and Pasto.
Bus operators of the Medellin to Neiva route
● Expreso Bolivariano
● Lineas Verdes
Neiva is the perfect destination with a nice and friendly neighborhood. Here, you can explore many things to see and do and never be bored of this place. This place offers some of the best sightseeing that reveals the history of this town. The scenic beauty of nature is mesmerizing, and it is something you do not want to miss!