Neiva, city and capital of Huila. It was officially founded in 1612, when Captain Diego de Ospina claimed it for the Spanish crown; he named it for the Neiva River in Haiti. Neiva is primarily an agricultural centre for cotton, rice, corn (maize), and sesame, and it manufactures cotton goods and cement and processes marble. The city is the southern terminus of the Atlantic Railway that runs via Puerto Berrío to Santa Marta on the Caribbean Sea.
The city has a warm climate with an average temperature of 21ºC to 35ºC. In August and September the maximum temperature is reached, which can exceed 37 ° C. On the other hand, the coolest months are the rainiest, like April, November and December, where the maximum temperature oscillates between 28º C and 30º C.
Hotels in Neiva
Hotels in Colombia vary widely in size and quality; they range from pocket-sized (guest houses) in humble homes to huge 5-star establishments. There is a star grading system similar to that operating in Europe.
Restaurantes & Bars in Neiva
Debido a su variedad agrícola y su cultura, la gastronomía de Neiva es un imán para los turistas que buscan deleitarse con sus sabores ancestrales. Los habitantes preparan los platillos usando técnicas de la sabiduría culinaria ancestral, de esta forma dan vida a los productos más tradicionales.
The most tourist places in Neiva
● Tatacoa Desert, Is the perfect place to hang out that is far from the city’s hustle and bustle. Located in Hula, which is two hours from Neiva, this place is also known as the tropical dry forest.You can spend your night counting the beautiful stars in the sky. You can also visit the Red Zone or Zone Cuzco, and take a tour through the valley of ghosts and visit the gray desert. Other activities include horse riding, riding ATVs, bike riding, and walking.
● Termales De Rivera in Neiva, It features water parks with amazingly designed warm and pools. The natural hot springs also have a spa. Other activities include horseback riding and hiking. You can also visit the on-site restaurant that serves amazing food along, and there are plenty of hotels to stay with exceptionally reasonable prices!
● Santander Park, This place is ideal for those who want to enjoy the beautiful sunset while sitting on the benches beneath the trees that cover you from the heat! Here you can also witness the stunning screeching of parrots that come here for their nightly rest.
● Museo Arqueológico Regional Del Huila, This is a beautiful museum to visit as this place offers some of the best collections of statuary that consists of 300 pieces, ceramics, orfebrera, petroglyphs and artifacts the Baltics found in Neiva. This museum is known as the Space Renaissance as the archaeologists discovered this with their investigations.
● Rio Magdalena, This place is ideal for a day trip as this place offers you some of the best moments of sailing a boat with boatmen stationed at the bank, and you can see the Great Magdalena River that crosses Colombia near the city of Neiva. It gives you a spectacular view for some tranquil bird-watching.
Important dates in Neiva
● Semana Santa- The Craft Fairs are intended to provide a space for artisans to display and market their works.
● June 24- Fiesta de San Juan, In the community it is celebrated with peasant dances, horseback riding, brandy and folklore.
● June 29 - Fiesta de San Pedro, It is celebrated with music, dance, comparsas, the typical barbecue, the mistela and the brandy.
● August 16- Fiesta de San Roque, tradition says that the image of the saint appeared on a rock near the La Arenosa stream, with multiple sores caused by smallpox, which later cured a group of indigenous people.
How to move around Neiva?
To move around the city you can take these two options:
● Public transport: whose minimum rate is COP $ 1,800, according to the sections, the rate increases.
● Taxi: You can take this option for a minimum rate of COP $ 4 800. Taximeters are used.
How to reach Neiva?
· Neiva by bus: The average travel time between Bogotá and Neiva is around 5h 15m. This is the time it takes to travel the 314.7 km that separates the two cities.
Gastronomy in Neiva
Some of these typical dishes are:
● Asado huilense
● Juan Valerio
● Tamal huilense
● Bizcocho de cuajada
● Arepas orejeperro
● Bizcocho de achiras
Things to buy in Neiva
The most representative souvenirs that you can buy in Cali are
- Chivas de Pitalito
- Pinturas realizadas al óleo
- Camisas guayaberas
Neiva is located between the Central and Eastern mountain ranges, in the valley of the same name, and crossed by the Las Ceibas River and the Río del Oro. Was founded on July 25, 1536 by Sebastián from Belalcázar, which makes it one of the oldest cities in America. At 442 meters above sea level and with an average temperature of 27 degrees Celsius, Neiva is a tourist and business center in the south of the country, close to cities such as Florencia, Mocoa, Popayán and Pasto.
Bogota and Neiva Terminals
• Terminal Del Sur
• Terminal Salitre
• Terminal de Neiva
Bus operators of the route Bogota to Neiva
● Lineas verdes
Neiva is the perfect destination with a nice and friendly neighborhood. Here, you can explore many things to see and do and never be bored of this place. This place offers some of the best sightseeing that reveals the history of this town. The scenic beauty of nature is mesmerizing, and it is something you do not want to miss!