Bucaramanga is situated at 959 m a.s.l. in an area that used to be populated by the indigenous guanes, being in close proximity with other tribes such as the chibchas, chitarreros, laches, and muiscas. Bucaramanga was established as a native town in 1622 and some mines were operated by the Spaniards were established in the neighboring areas. During the XIXth century, the town formally became a "Villa". At the end of that century, it endured political struggles between craftsmen and traders, while during the XXth it had to endure the misery leftover from the Thousand Day's War. The city managed to thrive and became one of the most important cities in modern Colombia. Its touristic attractions and hotel enterprises made the city grow and is now known as the "Pretty City". It also has very attractive parks, which earned the nickname "The City of Parks".
The Weather in Bucaramanga
Bucaramanga has a tropical climate, with a minimum temperature of 18.5°C and a maximum of 28°C. The rains are present throughout the year, being January, July and December the months where the level of rainfall decreases.
Hotels in Bucaramanga
● Hotel Shaday
- Address: Calle 55
Services: Economic rooms with personal beds that have TV, fan, and free wi-fi, the bathroom can be shared. With a reception available 24 hours a day and an interesting view of the entire city, you can spend a pleasant stay.
● Hostal Rural Chitota
- Address: Km 3 Via Bucaramanga - Surata
- Services: It has a garden bar and a shared lounge, games room, and space to practice water sports. The rooms are shared with 5 other people and sleep in bunk beds or cabins, free wi-fi is available throughout the premises and pets are allowed. The reception is available 24 hours a day.
● Hotel Ruitoque Bucaramanga
-Address: Carrera 19 # 37-26
- Services: Just 5 minutes from the commercial and financial center of Bucaramanga, enjoy its neat rooms decorated with colorful details, and admire the works of art located at common prices. For your comfort, you will have a private bathroom, air conditioning, cable TV, minibar, desk, among other services.
● Hotel D 'Leon
- Address: Calle 56 No. 21 - 49
- Services: Spend a pleasant stay in its rooms that have air conditioning, a private bathroom, wardrobe, minibar. Cable TV, among other services. In the morning you can enjoy a buffet breakfast with delicious Colombian coffee, artisan bread, and soft cakes. It also has free private parking and is located 19 km from Palonegro Airport.
Restaurants in Bucaramanga
● Tavolo Gourmet
- Description: Cra 35 No. 48 - 84
-Services: Cozy restaurant with a careful presentation where the client will feel comfortable from the moment he arrives at the place until he leaves. The attention is fast, friendly, and respectful, they have a varied menu with extremely delicious dishes and reservations can be made for events of great importance. They have a home delivery service.
● Dimarco Parrilla
- Address: Carrera 28 # 54-21
- Services: Restaurant with more than 50 years of experience serving its diners. Try incomparable roasts and grilled dishes, salads, pasta, and many others. The interior tables are beautifully presented in warm colors, helping to create a pleasant enough atmosphere to enjoy at mealtime.
● La Carreta Restaurant
- Address: Carrera 27 #4227
- Services: Various environments make up the restaurant. La Cava is a space inspired by a wine cellar, you can listen to music and see live shows; The Shed gives a space of freedom to spend with the family enjoying quite comfortable sofas; La Tasca with its colonial touch allows you to enjoy a delicious coffee or interesting cocktails and La Pampa is the ideal space for various events.
Outstanding Tourist Places of Bucaramanga
● La Sagrada Familia Cathedral: The construction of this beautiful cathedral began in 1985 when the property was purchased to build it. It is known that the parishioners themselves financed its construction due to the humility of the initial managers and the poverty left after the War of the Thousand Days It is a work of art wherever you look.
● Chicamocha National Park: Colombia's natural park that allows visitors to practice various ecotourism activities. Built on the Chicamocha Canyon, it extends over 264 ha and has activities such as paragliding, torrenting, buggy driving, cinema, ice skating, among other things.
● Parroquia Sagrado Corazón de Jesús: Located next to San Pedro School, this temple of impressive architecture welcomes the traveler with its particular reddish hue and a beautiful image of Jesus Christ on top. It is an unmissable place of prayer for all believers.
The most important festivals in Bucaramanga
● Ferias Bonitas (September): This party is over 60 years of history in which all kinds of artists take to the streets and exhibit extremely eye-catching and totally free cultural and artistic events. Entrepreneurial people in Bucaramanga have always had this inclination artistic, so you can enjoy dance events, music, and storytellers.
● National Tiple Week (November): Event that highlights Colombian Andean folk music. Solo artists, duos, or trios usually appear at this event, with the first places being awarded. Orlando Serrano Giraldo founded this event with the main objective of preserving the unique rhythms of this region of Colombia.
● UIS Santander International Festival (August): A major event that brings together pianists nationally and internationally. At first, it was only welcomed by students from the Industrial University of Santander, but over time it spread to the municipality of Barrancabermeja, and currently, it has metropolitan concerts on various stages of the city. Every year he becomes more popular and the number of his presentations increases.
Gastronomy in Bucaramanga
● Mute santandereano: Delicious dish that has a wide variety of ingredients that give it a unique and special flavor. Pork, beef, cassava, parsley, potato, beans, onion, tomato, all combined is a hot soup that catches every traveler who comes to town.
● Cabro with pepitoria: Dish consisting mainly of rice and goat meat, eggs, various spices, and breadcrumbs. Of Spanish origin, it is served in the form of an omelet and to accompany stronger dishes.
● Big ants: Surely you have ever wondered about eating some kind of insects. Everyone who has a plate of this exotic delicacy in front of them doubts whether or not they dare until they take the first bite of one of these queen ants. Unique and delicious flavor, similar to dried fruits and, as they say, with aphrodisiac effects.
● Santander Tamale: You can find it in a rectangular or cylindrical shape and it is made mainly from pelao corn dough. When you take the first bite, you will feel the flavor of the onion, paprika, parsley, coriander, among other ingredients that compose it, and especially the delicious meat inside that can be Creole hen, pork, or turkey.
● Cabrito: It's impossible not to mention this dish typical of the Santander, so common but just as delicious. Fried, roasted or sweaty, but accompanied by potatoes, cassava, and arende santandereanas - stuffed with pork rinds - and a little salad of lettuce and tomato with a few drops of lemon.
Things to buy in Bucaramanga
● Big ants: If you tried the "hormigas culonas" on your trip to Bucaramanga and you liked them, you have to take them back so that other people can try them too.
● Jams: Look for the different preparations, there is something for everyone.
● Artseanias: All kinds of work such as handles, earrings, necklaces, and others, are a good gift.
How to travel in Bucaramanga?
● Public bus: The city of Bucaramanga has a large number of buses that provide their services throughout the entire capital of Santander.
● Taxi: The possibility of finding a taxi in Bucaramanga is very wide given the abundance of these services.
Terminals in Bucaramanga
Bucaramanga´s Terminal operates since 1991, being one of the most important constructions of the city in terms of design and functionality. It has 4 modules divided between taxis and bus companies, covering multiple destinations in Colombia.
Bucaramanga, "The Beautiful City", is one of the main cities in Colombia, along with Bogota, Medellin, Cali, and Barranquilla. It has important companies and universities that have promoted it nationwide. It has several tourist attractions in addition to being very close to fabulous destinations within the department of Santander. Its people are known because of their strong temperament, but that myth falls when someone visits this city because the Bumangueses are excellent hosts who welcome in the best way those who visit this beautiful region of Colombia. Its climate is warm, although it is not suffocating, being a very pleasant temperature to be able to visit the city.
Bucaramanga has its doors open to welcome everyone who wants to visit this magical area of Colombia. Prepare to be surprised!