Barrancabermeja is a city located on the shores of the Magdalena River. It was discovered by the expedition of Spaniard conquistador Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada on the 12th of October of 1536, who found a small farm town called La Tora inhabited by Yariguíes. The site was in turn named Barrancas Bermejas, which in turn derived into the city’s current name. At the beginning of the XXth century, the city grew exponentially due to the discovery and exploitation of petroleum, which became an integral part of the economy of the city. In Barrancabermeja, you will be able to find several touristic attractions linked to this industry, as well as natural vistas at the shore of the Magdalena River.
The weather in Barrancabermeja is very warm, with temperatures that vary from 24°C and 31°C, and rain throughout almost the whole year. The best time to visit Barrancabermeja is from December to March, as there are less rainy days.
Hotels in Barrancabermeja
● Hotel Millenium Barrancabermeja
- 71th street No 18-09, 760001 Barrancabermeja, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 145.000
- Servicios: It has individual, double, triple rooms, and suites. Wifi. Free parking. Gym. Air conditioning. Sauna. Pet-friendly. Includes breakfast.
● Hotel San Gabriel
- 49th Street No 9-38 Piso 2, 570012 Barrancabermeja, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 85.000
- Servicios: It has individual, double, and triple rooms. Wifi. Air conditioning. Pet-friendly. Free parking. Includes breakfast.
● Park Inn By Radisson Barrancabermeja
- Carrera 8 A #51-08, Commercial area, 687033 Barrancabermeja, Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 174.220
- Services: It has individual, double, triple rooms, and suites. Wifi. Free parking. Bar. Includes breakfast.
Restaurants & Bars in Barrancabermeja
● Restaurante La Cazuela
- Carrera 14 # 50-21, Barrancabermeja 687033 Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 25.000
- Carrera 23 # 49-2, Barrancabermeja Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 17.000
● Restaurante El Buitrón
- 52th Street #15-101, Barrancabermeja Colombia
- Price: From COP$ 22.000
The most tourist places in Barrancabermeja
● Cristo Petrolero: Sculpture in honor of the main engine of the local economy. It is located near a pier where you can find tourist information.
● Barrancabermeja-Yondo Bridge: Impressive work of engineering that communicates the city with the town of Yondo. It was inaugurated in 2006 and is named Guillermo Gaviria Correa.
● Culture’s Walk: Park oozing with creativity. It has a Greco roman style and has 3 temples along the park, which have names linked to great songs performed by wind instruments.
The most important dates in Barrancabermeja
● Abril – Bands Festival: It is held on April, and it is considered Cultural Heritage of Colombia. Throughout the festival, many gastronomic demonstrations, fotographic expositions, and other activities are held.
● August 25th – Petroleum Festival: Festivity that commemorates the findings of the first oil well in Pensilvania. In Barrancabermeja, the “Petroleum Queen” contest is held, apart from other activities like float parades, gastronomic fairs, concerts, among others.
● November – Magdalena’s Rio Grande Vallenato Festival: Cultural event where the best national and international accordion performers of the 4 rythms that form the Vallenato music (Merengue, Paseo, Son, and Puya).
How to move around Barrancabermeja?
- Public bus: The city has a large number of buses that provide their services throughout Barrancabermeja.
- Taxi: The possibility of finding a taxi in Barrancabermejais very wide given the abundance of these services.
How to reach Barrancabermeja?
Barrancabermeja by bus: You can reach Barrancabermeja from Bucaramanga by land. The trip takes 2 to 3 hours approximately.
Gastronomy in Barrancabermeja
- Bagre Sancocho
- Fish and rice
- Viuda de doncella
- Chicken Sancocho
Things to buy in Barrancabermeja
- Hormigas culonas
Barrancabermeja is home to the biggest oil refinery in Colombia, and it is the capital of the Yariguies province in Santander. Puerto Wilches lies to the north of Barrancabermeja; Puerto Parra and Simacota to the south; San Vicente de Chucuri and Giron to the southeast; and Magdalena River to the west.
Bus operators of the route Bucaramanga to Barrancabermeja
● Cotaxi Cooperativa
Barrancabermeja is a destination that shows everything Colombia has to offer, its people, natural attractions, and its beautiful weather are some of the wonders that await for its visitors with open arms.